Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Pastoral Pride

I realize that I have written about Confirmation for the last two entries. Forgive me for writing about it again! :-)

On Sunday, I had the opportunity to preside over two different confirmation services. There was an energy and excitement in those services that I have yet experienced in my brief time as a pastor. I truly felt the Spirit moving in both churches during those worship services.

At Tabor, it was wonderful to see Sarah step up and take on the responsibilities of liturgist during the worship service. I think it can also be heard to be the sole Confirmand where all of the focus is on you. I think she had some wonderful things to say in her Faith Statement and I hope she will continue to grow in the faith and grow as a member of Tabor UMC.

At Oakfield, Morgan, Maddy, Buddy, Hunter and Justin did a great job during the worship service. With just a few exceptions, they led the entire worship service. They stepped up to this role with many members of the congregation there, as well as parents and sponsors. A few folks asked me if I coached them as they prepared their Faith Statements. I did provide some guidance, but what they said was from their own thoughts and experiences. I am hopeful that they will live up to what they shared on Sunday.

I am excited for this first Confirmation Class. I am hopeful for them. They can represent a rebirth of the youth groups. They can represent a new wave of youth leadership in church. They represent role models for future Confirmands!

They were a great group to work with and I hope to stay connected to them throughout their Christian journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment